Curd Rice is the best quintessential summer food prepared in all homes of Indian Origin. It is a South Indian Rice prepared with pre-cooked rice mixed with yogurt (curd) and sizzled with palliated spices. It typically takes different names in India; it is called thayir saadam in Tamilnadu, in Karnataka. It is called Mosaranna, in Kerala, known as a tayire chore; in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, it is known as daddojanam. It is taken as their everyday meal in South India, along with spicy servings like pickle, podi, papad, and also added with toppers like pomegranate, grated carrot, raw cucumbers, and onion.
Health Benefits of Curd Rice
- Curd is rich in Calcium, Proteins & other nutrients; hence is advisable to take curd rice regularly. It is considered enriched food by South Indians as it satisfies the body's nutritional values completely.
- Curd Rice aids in probiotics that help digestion, so it is often considered the end of the South Indian meal.
- Yogurt acts as the cooling agent, which helps cool down the body temperature, so it is consumed often to reduce sunstroke & helps in beating out the summer heat.
- Eating raw vegetables like cucumber, carrot, and pomegranate helps in easy digestion.
- When curd rice is added with oil, ginger, chilies, & spices, these all nullify the curd's cooling agent.
Recipe Card: Curd rice can be prepared easily, wish to learn just keep reading below.
- ½ Cup short-grained rice
- 1 1/4 cup Water for boiling
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Milk at room temperature
- ¼ Cup Curd at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- ½ Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Urad Dal
- ½ Teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ Teaspoon chana dal
- ½ Teaspoon Hing (asafoetida)
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 1 Green slit or chopped
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 2 Tablespoons chopped Coriander Leaves
- 2 tablespoons of grated carrot
- Chopped Raw cucumber or bottle gourd
- Pomegranate topping
- 6 to 8 cashews roasted ones either chopped or split( purely optional)
- Wash the raw rice well in water three times.
- Add 1 ¼ cups of water to the rice and ½ teaspoon of salt. Pressure cooks the rice in the cooker with two whistles. After the release of pressure, remove the rice and smash it well lightly. Add 1 cup of Milk to the hot smashed rice that turns into curd eventually and Milk helps to take away the sour taste from curd rice even kept for long hours.
- Add curd to the rice. Mix well until it is well combined with smooth texture.
- Add in the Coriander leaves, grated carrot, and cucumber along with the curd rice per your choice and stir it well.
- The next step is tempering—heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, chana dhal, allow spluttering well.
- Add green chili, ginger, curry leaves.
- After curry leaves turn crispy, add hing and mix it well. Now turn off the stove.
- Now mix the curd rice and the tempering mixture well.
- Garnish with pomegranate as the toppings.
- Carbohydrates: 30g.
- Protein: 6g.
- Fat: 6g.
- Saturated Fat: 4g.
- Sugar: 6g.
- Fiber: 3g
- Iron: 2 mg.
- Calcium: 97 mg.
The recipe above shall enable you to make yummy curd rice, which is easy to prepare, excellent, and fulfilling.